Re: Minimizing disk usage for kernel development.

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 15:31:14 EST

Hi Mike.

>>> I'm wondering what you all do to minimize the amount of
>>> disk space it takes to be mucking with the kernel?

>> Sounds like a hardware problem to me.... :)

> Hehehe. I've got 13Gig of space, but unfortunately it is in
> massive disarray right now and I can't seem to find the time to
> clean it up. ;o)

I know the feeling...

> I'd try out e2compr however I don't want to risk any data until
> it is built into the kernel tree proper.

I use it on two of my systems, as follows:

 1. I have all my systems NFS mount the /usr/doc directory from one
    of them, on which it's a separate partition with the various
    documents all e2comp'd

 2. My development machine has a large partition mounted as /usr/src
    with everything in it e2comp'd and this works fine.

I'm also now joint developer of e2comp with the aim of getting it in
the kernel as standard ASAP.

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.