Of Removable Media

From: Dale Amon (amon@vnl.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 06:35:37 EST

orc@pell.portland.or.us (david parsons) replied to me:
> >It is a basic fact of life in a high performance
> >file system that data is not written when you
> >write to the file, it is written when something
> >occurs to flush it to the media.
>
> This is sort of pointless when you're talking about floppies -- in
> most cases, floppies are simply low-capacity random-access tape
> drives, and the user would prefer that the OS writes the data to the
> disk *right now* instead of waiting around for it to schedule it.
> david parsons

I disagree. I regularly use a floppy with a very large
file that I carry between home and work and edit in
emacs. I have been bitten on occasion (forgot to
unmount before popping and shutting down at 3am) but
overall I prefer that my emacs doesn't write a half
megabyte to a slow floppy everytime I change a
character. QED.