Re: What /proc should contain [was: /proc/driver/microcode]

From: almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 17:39:56 EST

Ricky Beam wrote:
> Ok, so when did the non-procfs interface for process data go away? (I'm
> assuming _years_ ago. There _were_ syscalls for it at one point.)

Nope, the state of the art back then was to poke around in /dev/kmem,
guided by a possibly obsolete symbol table, and blissfully ignorant of
any locking or such.

Whenever any of the kernel-internal tables changed, ps and friends
died a horrible death or started generating strangely incorrect
information, and there was a week of confusion in linux-kernel.

With the introduction of /proc, it became possible to write utilities
that didn't need to be updated twice a month. That's why we have a
decent collection of proc-related utilities now. (For the record, the
average release interval of psmisc is approximately half a year and
the last change for proc compatibility was in February '98. That much
about the oh so terribly fragile text files.)

I don't remember any system calls that disappeared because of /proc.

- Werner