Re: string-486.h?

From: Daniel.Egger@suse.de
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 09:02:50 EST

On 23 Feb, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Where, exactly? Note that memcpy per se is implemented again for the
> kernel (When the compiler contains perfectly good inlined
> implementations of several of the string and memory handling
> functions. Beats me why), so if you do not include <linux/string.h>,
> it will end up missing.

 Well, the only thing I can say is that it works with the same source
 but an older version of gcc. I can't even tell you WHERE exactly this
 happens because it really seems random, i.e. not everywhere memcpy
 is called it's also unreferenced.
 I get this messages:

drivers/isdn/isdn.a(isdn_common.o): In function `isdn_status_callback':
isdn_common.o(.text+0xa04): undefined reference to `memcpy'
isdn_common.o(.text+0xa51): undefined reference to `memcpy'
drivers/isdn/isdn.a(hisax.o): In function `lli_deliver_call':
hisax.o(.text+0xa143): undefined reference to `memcpy'
hisax.o(.text+0xa208): undefined reference to `memcpy'
drivers/isdn/isdn.a(hisax.o): In function `HiSax_command':
hisax.o(.text+0xc0d5): undefined reference to `memcpy'
drivers/isdn/isdn.a(hisax.o)(.text+0xc7bc): more undefined references to `memcpy' follow
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

 Not using ISDN curbs this problem, but without ISDN my server would
 be just a lifeless box making a lot of noise. :/

 The only possibility to get this working at the moment is to compile
 the kernel on a machine with gcc 2.95.2.

--

Servus, Daniel