Re: What /proc should contain [was: /proc/driver/microcode]

From: Andrew Morton (morton@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 06:21:30 EST

Dag Brattli wrote:

> I guess I might upset some people, but why not present most files in /proc
> in XML format.

Or, more specifically, a DOM-style tree. This is a binary data
structure which satisfies Albert's very real (but non-Unix traditional)
contention. Conversion to human-readable XML can be done outside the
kernel by a single tool.

/proc/isapnp would benefit from this. And the time to change it is now,
before the creation of tools which are dependent upon the current
format.

But it isn't going to happen.