Re: 2.3.48pre1: fore200e_firmware_copyright

From: Mitchell Blank Jr (mitch@sfgoth.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 00:15:50 EST

David S. Miller wrote:
> This GPL'ing of the microcode does not imply that pieces of
> intellectual property of FORE Systems (such as the assembler source
> code from which the microcode was created) is available under similar
> terms.

I agree that it is fine. The thing to remember is that the GPL
prohibits linking against non-source-available components.
However, we're clearly not linking against the firmware (it's
for an i860, not any CPU that the kernel even runs on), it's
just opaque data to the GPL'ed kernel. Fore has licensed that
this binary data (that they own the copyright to) may be distributed
under the terms of the GPL.

-Mitch