unexpected IRQ vector 163 on CPU#0! (etc...)

From: Rainer Mager (rvm@gol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 22:52:11 EST

Hi all,

    First off, please respond to me directly (feel free to CC: the list)
because I'm no longer on this list. I just couldn't handle the traffic.

    My problem is that my computer is pretty unstable and I'm trying to
diagnose why. Unfortunately, every time it crashes I get no panic, no OOPS,
no messages in logs or anything like that. I even have another computer
connected to the serial port monitoring that and I still am getting no
useful information.

    The only information that I have noticed (although not always related to
my crashes) are messages like

unexpected IRQ vector 163 on CPU#0!

    For example, when my system crashed last night the last two messages
displayed on the console log from the serial port were 2 of these IRQ
messages. So far I've seen, 118 and CPU#1, and 163, 171, and 208 on CPU #0.
I haven't been paying very close attention to this until recently, however,
so I might have had more.

    So, my real question is, how can I diagnose errors when I get no
feedback from my system. My secondary question is, what are these IRQ errors
and are they a serious problem? If so, how can I diagnose and fix them?

    Here are my system details:

    SuperMicro SUPER P6DBS motherboard. Dual PIII600E CPUs. The MB has a
built-in AIC-7895 SCSI controller. Everything else is pretty standard
components.

    For a while I thought the problem was SCSI related. and I still think it
happens more often if SCSI is running, but recently I've had these system
freezes even with SCSI completely turned off. When I say turned off I mean
all SCSI modules are not loaded so no SCSI access can occur. My internal
SCSI HD is still connected and has power but is not used at all by Linux. In
these cases I am booting from my IDE drive.

    One other bit of information is that I seem to get the freezes when I'm
running VMware. I am not yet sure if this is always the case. I am
definitely sure that if I do have SCSI running then I get the problems
regardless of VMware running or not.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--Rainer