Re: PCMCIA still doesn't work for 2.3.46-pre2

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 19:23:47 EST

> > > You have i82365 enabled? You should have CONFIG_PCMCIA=y,
> > > CONFIG_CARDBUS=y, CONFIG_I82365=n.
> >
> > Er, no. .config appended. Also, don't you mean CONFIG_I82365=y? I
> > thought I have an i82365. With 2.3.36 I have a module named
> > "i82365"...
>
> The i82365 thing is for old i82365-compatible 16-bit pcmcia controllers.
>
> CONFIG_CARDBUS is for cardbus controllers.
>
> The confusion is because cardbus used to be handled by the i82365 driver
> too, and then CONFIG_CARDBUS was just an option to that driver. Now
> cardbus is a standalone driver in itself (a cardbus controller has
> backwards compatibility registers so that it is a reasonably proper
> superset of an old i82365).

I have some questions. I noticed when I boot, my 2 slots have pre-allocated
IRQs (one time I got both cards on the same irq and every other time, the
top slot is always IRQ5 which is already allocated by the PCI bios to pci
sound card. my 3c575 doesn't work very well being on IRQ5 when transfering
files)

Since the IRQs are preallocated, inserting an 8-bit or 16-bit card causes
another IRQ to be allocated. I'm not sure if the cardmgr (pcmcia-cs 3.1.8)
needs to understand how to do this, or the cards should be allocated on the
fly by another program. cardmgr would assign irq 3 to one of the cards
(irq3 is not used on this box, IRport disabled)

One more question. Was there a reason for having a seperate (modules here)
pci_socket.o and yenta.o? ATM, the debian /etc/pcmcia.conf wants a single
module for the controller. /etc/init.d/pcmcia uses insmod to load it,
obviously, telling it yenta won't allow ds.o to load, using pci_socket won't
load.

Sorry, I haven't been able to try the suggestions you meantioned a few days
ago.