Re: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 07:26:53 EST

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:19:06 +0100 (MET), Rogier Wolff wrote:
> Erik Mouw wrote:
>> > i saw something (I think it was on ace's hardware site) over the weekend
>> > indicating there was a new chipset for gigE running ~$100 ea, combine that
>> > with a crusoe cpu (~$50) and some ram (say 16M for $30) you won't meet the
>> > +$100 that larry is wanting, but you could probably get +$250 for a box
>
> I can do +$500 NOW. There are "mini PC" boxes for that price.

Bottom line: Larry's idea can be implemented today (and it already is
implemented in the Cobalt NasRaq, for example).

If you want to do it cheaper than Cobalt and you want it NOW, go for the
"mini PC". If you want to do it even cheaper, have some time to do some
development, and want to do a big run, go for an embedded CPU solution.

Erik

--
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the
croniclers mind. -- Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy