Re: Y2K bug found in Linux kernel 2.2.12 (Red Hat 6.1)

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 21:11:29 EST

> Subject: Stock Market Report for Sun Feb 13 1910

And the stock subject came from your software too. It looks liek something
output '19100' and your script got bitten by the 1 character shift. I've
seen that sort of bug in a lot of perl

> 2. This is not an application level or library bug. I now have
> files on my system with dates set by the system to Feb 13, 1910.

Interesting. The data is coming from the kernel but is caused by someone
misinterpreting a string and printing 19100, it looks like an application
perhaps APMD ? on your machine shifted the clock erroneously and the rest
of the system is behaving fine around it

> Hmm... it just occurred to me that both of the bugged systems have
> an AMD processor - the "Pentium" is actually an AMD K6 and the "486"
> has an Evergreen processor upgrade, which is reported by /proc/cpuinfo
> as an "AuthenticAMD Am5x86-WT". Coincidence?

I think so. It looks to me like an application screwed up and changed the
system clock. We don;t do the right things in kernel to cause the '19100' bug