Getting I/F info w/Transparent Connections

From: Thomas Hoyt (hoyt@reston.wcom.net)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 17:50:45 EST

(If this is the wrong list, please redirect via email.. Thanks)

I have some legacy proxy software designed to be spawned by inetd which
I'd like to port over to Linux using the transparent proxy mechanism.
Is there a mechanism to retrieve (by socket) the interface on which
the transparent connection arrived for TCP? Get_sockname() will get
the ultimate destination, but not the local I/F.

Glancing through the network source, the kernel appears to keep track
of the interface connection number by socket, but does not appear
to allow the application layer a way to get to it. Kernel hacking
was done on the original implementation and I'd like to avoid it,
if possible.

Many Thanks
Thomas Hoyt