AARP corruption/netatalk (fwd)

From: Alistair Riddell (ali@watsons.edin.sch.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 16:55:32 EST

I have a problem with the Linux AppleTalk stack. I have posted to
linux-atalk and netatalk-admins and it was suggested I post here.

I use Netatalk to serve files to a network of around 400 macs. From time
to time the netatalk server disappears from the chooser. I have traced
this to the AARP entries cached in the server not matching the actual
address of the machines.

Typically the machine's hardware address shows in /proc/net/aarp but the
corresponding AppleTalk address does not match that found in the AppleTalk
control panel.

The annoying thing is there is no way that I can see of flushing/altering
/proc/net/aarp without killing netatalk and doing rmmod
appletalk. Obviously this is undesirable.

Some more details:

Server is running netatalk pre-asun2.1.4-37b.tar.gz; Linux kernel
2.3.42. However the problem has been present for some time even when using
older netatalk and kernel 2.2.

machine is a dual-processor PIII; network card is a 3Com 3c905b plugged
into a 3com CoreBuilder 3500 switch, which is configured as an AppleTalk
router.

Only machines in the same zone as the server have problems; other machines
don't presumably because the 3500 router does the AARP stuff.

These problems do not affect TCP/IP connectivity; I can ping both ways
to/from affected machines and I can connect to the server by entering its
IP address in the chooser.

This only appears to affect a handful of machines at once.

Although the network range is a single number there are nothing like 254
machines in that network - the others are on the other side of the router.

My /etc/atalkd/atalkd.conf looks like this:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 12 -addr 12.152 -zone "Senior School South"

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh