Re: Success with Adrea's delack timer patch (Was: Ok, I give up)

From: David Edwards (gecker@offbeatmedia.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 12:41:35 EST

At 03:58 PM 2/14/00 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > This is kind of late, but I can tell you that the delack-timer-5 patch
> > mentioned below (which has been included in 2.2.15pre1 and above, I
> > believe) has solved my long-standing problem of the crashing webserver
> > (both Apache and Mathopd) locking up the whole machine on 2.2.x.
> > The webserver in question has been up for 7 days non-stop (used to reach
> > maximum 2 days), and the only problem I had with a stock 2.2.14 and the

I haven't tried the delack-timer patch yet, but I'll see if I can load
2.2.15pre7 today. I don't know if this is related or not, but one thing I
found that has made my webservers much more stable was to change apache to
MaxRequestsPerChild 0 so it wouldn't do so much child creation and killing
off. I found that on a moderately loaded server, if I set
MaxRequestsPerChild 1000, the server would lock up completely in a couple
days but with MaxRequestsPerChild 0 the server would be stable for a
couple weeks. Any comments?

David