Re: Strange multi-interface workings

From: James Turinsky (LKML) (lkml@SomeSites.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 12:59:39 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Riley Williams <rhw@MemAlpha.CX>
To: James Turinsky (LKML) <lkml@SomeSites.com>
Cc: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>; Linux Kernel
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Monday, February 14, 2000 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: Strange multi-interface workings

>Hi James.

> >> Oh, they have one very useful feature: Take a machine with
> >> multiple 10baseT network interfaces that needs Linux installing
> >> over a network to it. The easiest way is simply to connect all
> >> of the network interfaces to the same BNC cable, then it doesnae
> >> matter which one gets used to download...
>
> > Sorry that I'm coming into the middle of this thread, so I don't
> > know everything, but I would argue that multiple NICs on the
> > same wire/hub would be moderately useful in a few cases:
>
>The actual thread was about multiple NIC's that were ON THE SAME
>SUBNET as far as the IP address allocated to them was concerned. In
>that context, the above is about the only use for that arrangement
>that I've ever come across.

That's kinda what I was thinking was meant by same wire... I've been running
a box like this for several months, and did indeed notice weirdness in how
packets were tossed about etc.

>I would agree that all of the suggestions you made are valid uses for
>two NIC's on the same wire, but in different subnets though.
>
> > o Redundancy
> >
> > I had a kernel panic tied to the NIC card driver once upon a
> > time. If I would have had another NIC with different driver I
> > coulda saved the trip to reboot the box.

Come to think of it, this did save my rear once already when eth0 barfed for
some reason. I just popped into the box with eth1's IP and fixed it.

Not everyone's blessed with their own IP block or subnet to use (try
colocation customers and places with only one block or subnet).

>Best wishes from Riley.

Same from me.