Re: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux

From: Ralf Baechle (ralf@oss.sgi.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 09:58:46 EST

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 02:52:47AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:

> There are weirder examples of what the drive was used for, but as it only
> had 8 KB of memory, you could not do as much as you wanted. However, the
> 1581 is an altogether different beast, with 32 kb of memory (or was it
> even 64?

32kb.

> Can't recall off-handedly.) For instance (however unimplemented
> to my knowledge), one could put one of the drives into loading, crunching
> (or, as most other people would call it, compress) and saving every file
> on disk, leaving the computer for better tasks.

No, too slow CPU :-)

Back to the topic - a general purpose OS just doesn't seem to be very
sensible for any typical application of a programmable disk drive which
I can think of. But putting things like RAID etc. there sounds great.
Sounds like the thing which IBM calls I/O channel or something like that.

  Ralf