Re: .config: do not edit ? why ?

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 06:08:54 EST

In article <linux.kernel.20000213221117.A6463@dungeon.inka.de>,
Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> wrote:
>editing .config is my prefered way to configure the kernel.
>i remove lines i don't like, run "make oldconfig" to add these
>lines with different parameters and let the kernel do cleanups.
>
>but now i noticed, in new 2.3.* kernels .config contains the comment
>"don't edit". i wonder why, it always worked very fine this way.

    Because it's machine generated, and any fancy formatting or
    comments that you put in will be toasted as soon as you run
    any of the tools [1]

    I do that with all the config files that Mastodon's admintool
    understands -- people can still hand-edit their files, but any
    commentary will go *poof* as soon as admintool is run again.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ [1: at least that's my guess]
                   \/