Re: mailing list problem: tabs in linux-kernel headers

From: Steve Dodd (steved@loth.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 13:08:13 EST

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 09:26:04AM -0800, Zack Brown wrote:

> For the past few weeks there's been a change in linux-kernel posts. The
> From:, Date:, and certain other headers are followed by tabs instead of
> spaces. This breaks things like 'grepmail'. Manually removing the tabs from
> just the From: and Date: headers seems to fix it.

I'm not seeing this here, and I'd be very surprised to find anything at vger
fiddling with message headers like this. Some people's MUAs may generate tabs
in the headers, but AFAIK this is perfectly valid. If you're seeing it on
*all* linux-kernel posts, it must something between you and vger doing
something silly..

> Is this an intentional change, or can it be reverted back to the old way? I
> currently use 'grepmail' to help generate the 'stats' section of Kernel
> Traffic. It's only a small inconvenience to edit the mailboxes by hand, but
> I thought I'd post here anyway, in case it was a bug in the list software.

I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to fix this "grepmail" program
to understand RFC822 properly :-)

--
"House Plants are for ornamental use only and not for consumption"
Notice in Sainsbury's Supermarket, London - Daily Mail