Re: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux

From: Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH (allbery@kf8nh.apk.net)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 09:00:20 EST

In message <20000212205125.A1370@best.com>, Karen Shaeffer writes:
+-----
| That's real interesting Brandon, but that is quite a few years away.
| Sounds like an R&D plan that would get embraced in those four year
| Advanced R&D labs that the big disk drive companies have (Refer to my
+--->8

I'm given to understand that they have a *lot* of working ARMLinux-based
prototypes *right now*, sent to them by one of those big names. Although if
they don't talk about those, perhaps I shouldn't either :)

| And you'll note that those R&D programs are not entertaining the idea of
| _welding_ a general purpose processor on to the backend core processor. What
+--->8

Allow me to advance a different analysis: the proposal currently on the
table is *no longer research*. I recently saw an ad in a magazine for
one... 10GB (IIRC) disk + ARMLinux, plug into the network and use as a
standalone NFS/Samba server, or run a webserver on it, etc. NASD has moved
beyond that except insofar as they could be components. :)

--
brandon s. allbery	   os/2,linux,solaris,perl	allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt	  allbery@ece.cmu.edu