Re: Hardware Monitor

From: Martin Bene (mb@sime.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 04:55:53 EST

At 14:38 12.02.00 -0500, kernel@par.ampere.dhs.org wrote:
>If you read the lm_sensors config stuff you should be able to fix all of
>these readings. From my memory I would guess that your motherboard bios
>returns an estimated temperature (the sensor is not actualy on the CPu so
>they add a few degrees to the reading). You can also add the same amount
>by changing the config file. The Fan speeds are probably divided
>incorrectly. you can do the same config file mods to fix this.

Not easily: The fans would need a divisor of three which isn't supported (2
and 4 are the available options).

For the temperature there are 3 sources:
1) MB Temperature -> this one seems to be right
2) CPU Temperature -> calcualted from the cpu diode, it's off by unknown
offset and unknown factor; I haven't yet got enough data points to figure
out the correct compensation function.
3) External thermistor -> same problem as cpu temerature; currently I get
readings of around 13 deg. Centigrade. Guess I'll have to play with two
boards (one in Linux, one showing BIOS monitors, an external sensor and a
hair-dryer..

Bye, Martin

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"
 Martin Bene vox: +43-316-813824
 simon media fax: +43-316-813824-6
 Andreas-Hofer-Platz 9 e-mail: mb@sime.com
 8010 Graz, Austria