Re: Problems with USB from late 2.3.x kernels and BP6 in MPS 1.4mode

From: Iustin Pop (iusty@geocities.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 00:43:24 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Dunlap, Randy wrote:
> >
> > The linux-usb project has had 2-3 reports of USB
> > not working on SMP systems if they are in MPS 1.4
> > mode (BIOS SETUP option). The latest report was
> > 2000-Feb-4.
> >
> > After being changed to MPS 1.1 mode, USB works as expected.
> >
> > Does anyone here have any ideas about why this is
> > happening and what we can do about it?
>
> It may simply be due to buggy MP tables that Windows knows about (or where
> the bugs are such that it just happens to work under Windows - not unheard
> of, as Windows and WNT tend to be the only things that gets tested).

  The problem with BP6 and MPS1.4 also shows in Win2k, where the usb
root hub is not initialized properly (yellow question mark in device
manager, and error code: you bios does not initialize the firwmare
properly with enough information for configuration, contact your
vendor...) and on http://www.bp6.com it says: "Install Detail: Set youe
MPS to 1.1 when using Win2k to solve USB Root HUB problems. MPS 1.4
seems to cause the USB ports to not function.".

   And a question: isn't there anything to gain/loose when using MPS1.1
instead of MPS1.4?

                Iustin Pop