Re: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux

From: Zachary Amsden (zamsden@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 19:02:57 EST

> : How you can have an operating system that
> : runs well on single cpu workstations, scales up to 16-64 cpus
>
> Perhaps SGI thinks it is a good idea to scale Linux to 64 processors.
> that point of view would indicate that noone at SGI has learned a damn
> thing from the unadulterated mess you call IRIX. Well, I worked there,
> and I learned that it is a really stupid idea to try and scale a single
> OS past about 4-8 processors.

I would differ with that opinion. I think it is perfectly reasonable to have
an OS scale up to 16 processors. Past that point, gains diminish, as any task
utilizing 32 or more processors is likely to be a compute bound task anyway.

--
Zachary Amsden  zamsden@engr.sgi.com  (650) 933-6919  09U-510  Core Protocols