Re: DOSEMU & kernels >= 2.3.27, problem solved

From: David Lerner (dsl@zai.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 11:54:16 EST

Hans Lermen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is a preliminary patch available for both, dosemu-0.98.8 and
> dosemu-0.99.13:
>
> ftp://ftp.dosemu.org/pub/dosemu/testing/patch-0.98.8.1.gz
> ... patch-0.99.13.1.gz

I have tested the 0.99.13.1 patch with the 2.3.40 and 2.3.43 kernels.
There all kind of problems with the 2.3.43 kernel that appear to be
related to bugs in the FAT of VFAT file system. The contents of some
batch files appear to be all nulls for both native Linux and dosemu
access. It is hardly surprising that such files do not execute.

I have dosemu set up to use the Windows 98 operating system (in command
mode). I have tested dosemu with Telix 3.22 (a DOS communications
program, Online Express (an off-line BBS mail program), and YARN (a set
of programs for off-line processing of usenet newsgroups).

All of the above programs work with no problems when running xdos with
kernel 2.3.40. They also work when running dos in an xterm window. I
have my text video set up with a high-resolution frame buffer. dos
either crashes when attempting to use the frame buffer or some
applications (such as the Windows edit command) crash after dos has
started. The frame buffer resolution varied during these tests. I could
send error messages generated by these crashes, but I do not want to
encourage anyone to spend time fixing this problem. Running dos in a
frame-buffer console is really of no interest to me. I just ran the
tests as a matter of curiosity.

Thanks to Hans Lerman for making these fixes.

Dave.