Re: Linux Status For 2.3.x: v 2.3.43

From: Philippe Strauss (philou@philou.ch)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 06:11:28 EST

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 12:03:14AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Truncate races (Debian apt shows it nicely)
> > I'm really curious what exactly this is?
>

> Here is a sample: I've no idea why apt happens to be the great trigger
> of this either.

> > I've noticed, when I'm running either plain vanilla 2.3.39 or 2.3.40, upgrading
> > a pile of debian packages thru apt (download via ftp, temporary spooling of
> > the .deb in /var/apt/cache, then bulk installation of each .deb), the
> > apt software stop on an error, due to a corruption of a freshly installed
> > package file list (a file containing the full path of each file installed by
> > a particular package).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm the one having posted this message.
Andrea Arcangeli made a patch to 2.3.42, its 2.3.42aa2.
I haven't seen the corruption with apt since I'm running 2.3.42aa2 (6 days now)
but debian activity has been slower now that potato is frozen, I've done only
2 upgrades of woody in 6 days.
I would say that previously, apt-get triggered the bug 50 to 70% of the time.
And it's really subjective measurement actually...
At least Andrea's patch didnt break more :-))

Andrea's msg is '2.3.42 fs corruption', dated Fri 4 Feb 2000 17:24:37 +0100 (CET)

Cheers.

--
Philippe Strauss, Telecom Consulting
home email address: <philou@philou.ch>

Be Here Now. If you do not live in the future, there is nothing to fear. If you do not live in the past, there is nothing to regret. --