Re: Standards of Conduct

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 08:55:44 EST

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
[SNIPPED...]

> I would urge those controlling this list to take responsibility and put all
> list subscribers on notice that certain behaviors can no longer be
> tolerated. It is clearly in the best interest of Linux as we move forward.

No. You do not have the right or privilege to define what will be
"tolerated". It is clearly in the best interest of everybody, not
just Linux, that nobody should be forced to abide by your rules or
the rules of some collective group.

If you have a problem with the free speech exercised by someone, I
urge you to contact that person directly. I believe that you have
a responsibility to do this before you attempt to quell free speech
globally.

I do not like some of the words and threats that I have recently
read on this list. However, there are greater issues at stake than
my annoyance.

Your monitor will not suddenly explode with rage. This is not a safety
issue. This is an issue of free speech in a public forum. Women and
men world-wide have died in battle to protect these basic human
rights. We cannot have you, or anybody else, decide for us whether
or not it was worth the cost.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).