Re: elevator-starvation-4 (2.2.14 && 2.3.42)

From: Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 07:39:42 EST

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Bruce Thompson wrote:

> Lemme sort of restate the question I have then: Is the goal to
> ensure that the elevator algorithm does not result in indefinite
> postponement? If so then I assert that a correct implementation of
> the elevator algorithm is guaranteed to prevent indefinite
> postponement. Or, is the goal to ensure that any given request is
> not delayed for an unreasonable length of time

The latter. We want to maximise request latency to something
relatively small because we don't want one flood of requests
to stall something else in the system.

> I would argue then that a fruitful line of attack would be to
> ensure that you can service N + 1 requests in the time that N
> requests are generated

This is very much impossible because hard disks are a *LOT*
slower than main memory or the cpu. There is simply no way
that a hard disk can outrun a modern cpu...

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.