Re: Capturing all keys on more-than-102-keys keyboards

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 03:28:45 EST

>> Some keyboards communicate extra keys by using "protocol oddities".
>Do you have concrete information?

Sure. I have a Tandberg keyboard with quite a few extra keys. The
extra
keys is dedicated to an ancient word processor, and I believe they
can be put to other uses now.

All "normal" keys are sent in the standard way. The extra ones are sent
by
first sending a zero, and then a keycode for some "normal" key.
Releasing
the key or autorepeating use the same zero prefix.

The current keyboard driver toss zeroes in the interrrupt routine,
because
they don't conform to protocol. So I get ordinary letters and numbers
from my extra keys. And that is what showkey shows too. Using the
printk()
method showed the zeroes. I was going to modify the driver, and checked
if someone else worked on it. Vojtech Pavlik turned out to be rewriting
that already, and incorporated support for zero-prefixing. So all I
need
now is to write the conversion table, when his patch gets accepted.

Helge Hafting