Re: Does anybody try to compile the 2.3 kernels at all ? :((

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 01:26:46 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.KSI2.0002102355510.14811-100000@nomad.ksi-linux.com>,
Sergey Kubushin <ksi@ksi-linux.com> wrote:

>But I wanna know what lies behind the changed /proc/*/cmdline. Can anybody
>throw some light? It's definitely wrong and have to be fixed in one place in
>kernel rather than fixing several dozens decent apps using setproctitle().
>Does anybody know what the hell it have been done for?

What's so wrong? That's how cmdline looked originally, and it's the
simplest form. The fact that some programs happened to be able to mess
with the output of "ps" for some timeis not very material to anything.

In short, what's the big deal? You CAN mess with your command line by
overwriting the original area, you just can't change the argv[] array
itself because the kernel really shouldn't be messing with that kind of
detail.

And if you feel so strongly about it, send a patch to linux-kernel.
Maybe you can make it do what you want it to do.

                Linus