Re: Capabilities

From: willy@thepuffingroup.com
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 21:25:49 EST

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 08:13:42PM +0000, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Chris Evans wrote:
> > We will have filesystem support soon.
>
> I see no evidence of that.

We discussed this briefly last weekend. We _think_ we need to take the
ext2 inode size up to 256 bytes anyway, which has its own associated
problems. I'm not at all sure this will happen in time to get merged
into even a later 2.4.

Ted, one thing we didn't discuss was handling capabilities in much the
same way as you proposed for ACLs --- a large number of programs want
very similar capability sets. What do you think? If we did that, we
could get away with using just 32 bits in the inode for capabilities.
We should be very sure this is the right thing to do before doing
it though. One thing the capabilities people could help us with is by
saying whether they are willing to restrict themselves to 32 capabilities
for ever or whether they think they will need more (and if so, how many?
Is there a realistic upper bound?).