Re: Softnet/eepro100 driver conversion bug in 2.3.43pre8?

From: Christopher Allen Wing (wingc@engin.umich.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 19:33:01 EST

Simon:

> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050 0070 at 8392/8404 command 000c0000.
> eth0: Tx ring dump, Tx queue 8404 / 8392:
> eth0: 0 000ca000.
> eth0: 1 000ca000.

I don't think this is a softnet problem per se; I've been having similar
transmit timeouts on 2.3 with a eepro100 under load. I have a bunch of
motherboards with on-board 82557 coupled to 10BaseT-only transceivers. The
timeouts occur when the network is under full load, such as a file
transfer to another machine on the local subnet.

I've never had any problems with the eepro100 driver in 2.2. I seem to
remember Alan Cox posting a message earlier to this list saying that he
was going to merge the fixed eepro100 driver from Andrey V. Savochkin into
2.3, so you probably should wait until then and see if the problem still
occurs.

-Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu