Q: What does this SCSI error mean?

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 14:41:25 EST

Could someone enlighten me as to what the following error (from my syslog)
means? - Is it a real hardware fault? - If so, do I have to mark the
sector as bad? - How do I do this using Linux?

kernel: SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code =
28000002
kernel: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current sd08:09: sense key Hardware Error
kernel: Additional sense indicates Internal target failure
kernel: I/O error: dev 08:09, sector 229468

This is using kernel 2.3.42 SMP on a dual i686 architecture. SCSI
controller is 2x Adaptec 2940UW using aic7xxx driver with command tagged
queueing enabled and set to 16.

(The error appear only once and I have never seen it before.)

Sorry if this is a bit OT.

Thanks for any help,

        Anton

--