Re: Again: Process stuck in D state while locking in NFS

From: Miklos Szeredi (Miklos.Szeredi@eth.ericsson.se)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 04:58:50 EST

> > bcica:~ # ps lw 7577
> > FLAGS UID PID PPID PRI NI SIZE RSS WCHAN STA TTY TIME COMMAND
> > 8100 10348 7577 1 0 0 3840 2284 rpc_execute D ? 0:00
> > ./gkeeper
>
> > This is the second time in two days, that a process gets stuck
> > in rpc_execute. It is the same program, run as non-root, trying
> > to do an ordinary F_SETLKW fcntl() for a read lock.
>
> > Which kernel are you running, and what is your setup?

SuSE 6.2, kernel 2.2.14, Solaris 2.6 NFS server.

I just noticed, that lockd wasn't running, so locking was broken
anyway.

> If something is sleeping in rpc_execute() though, the reasons are
> likely to be more complex. rpc_execute() does not allocate any memory,
> but is the main function for the SunRPC finite state machine. It may
> be that the locking request is blocking for some reason. I'd need a
> tcpdump and possibly a dump of the RPC debugging code in order to say
> more.

It is not clear how to turn on RPC debugging. Hints?

I can also start tcpdump but with a sufficiently good filter, because
this is not a reproduible thing, and I don't want to fill up my hard
disk. What sort of command line should I give tcpdump?

Thanks,
Miklos