Re: 2.2.14 makes X unstable

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 21:15:20 EST

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 dglidden@illusionary.com wrote:

>I'm fairly confident that my problems are related to 2.2.14 since

In the last weeks I spotted a potential oom deadlock in my latest fixes
that got merged in 2.2.14. It's because I send a sigterm to an iopl task
(so the console get not screwedup) but if there's no memory to run the
sighandler the kernel continue to send only signals and never sigkill.
Memory gets not released and the the loop gets started.

So if you get hangs while the machine trash you probably want to try out
this below patch on the top of 2.2.14. It's not a critical bug (not more
critical than the GFP schedule that is there since 2.1.x at least ;) and
since you are not talking about oom troubles or disk trashing I guess
that's not your problem. (unless you don't have swap at all and so you
couldn't notice the disk trashing) But at least previously with 2.2.13 you
should be getting X killed anyway. A SYSRQ+K is able to restore the
machine even in such unlikely case though, it's not a deadlock(tm) ;).

        ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.2/2.2.14/oom-X-2.gz

Andrea