Re: Again: Process stuck in D state while locking in NFS

From: Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 15:18:25 EST

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> bcica:~ # ps lw 7577
> FLAGS UID PID PPID PRI NI SIZE RSS WCHAN STA TTY TIME COMMAND
> 8100 10348 7577 1 0 0 3840 2284 rpc_execute D ? 0:00 ./gkeeper
>
> This is the second time in two days, that a process gets stuck in
> rpc_execute. It is the same program, run as non-root, trying to do
> an ordinary F_SETLKW fcntl() for a read lock.

Let me guess, this happened at a time when there was heavy
memory pressure?

After my memory changes (2.2.15pre5 and 6) we caught a lot
of places where the code was trying to allocate memory
with __GFP_WAIT set but completely unprepared to actually
wait!

It should be obvious that this can lead to a hanging
process when the system gets low on memory. This bug is
present in all 2.2 kernels (but very hard to trigger in
earlier ones). I hope to have it fixed in 2.2.15pre6 and
later, __get_free_pages() there contains a workaround to
the problem.

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.