Re: how does kernel get the "current" task struct?

From: Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 16:06:09 EST

Jamie Lokier wrote:
> That's what I said. E.g., you have a zone starting at 4k that's 32k
> long. You initialise the allocator by calling free_page on each page.
> The buddy structure ends up looking like this:
>
> 4k @ 4k
> 16k @ 8k
> 4k @ 24k

No. It could end up like this, but it doesn't end up like this right now
:-(

__free_pages_ok() aligns the buddy algorithm to "page - mem_map +
zone->offset".

This means that 44k starting at 4k will end up as

        32k @ 4k x = 0
        8k @ 36k x = 8
        4k @ 44k x = 10

where x = (page-mem_map+zone->offset)/sizeof(struct page).

I doubt that this is a problem, because zones are aligned on MB
boundaries, but perhaps this could become a problem for a weird
DISCONTIGMEM embedded system.

--
	Manfred