Re: 2GB limit? [mail.linux-kernel]

From: Scott Lurndal (slurn@griffin.engr.sgi.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 21:24:54 EST

------ Forwarded Article <86qjl3$v0moq@fido.engr.sgi.com>
------ From "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com>

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:52:21 +0200 (EET), Catalin BOIE
<util@deuroconsult.ro> said:

> Hi!
> I need to setup a machine with 256MB RAM (maybe 512MB) for a database
> server. I will have a database with size more than 2GB. Can I do it with
> kernel 2.2.x?

Many database products let you spread a database over multiple files, in
which case the 2GB limit isn't necessarily a problem. If you really
want a single file larger than that, then for 2.2 you are limited to
using a 64-bit platform such as Alpha or Sparc64. 2.4 will support
larger files on ia32, too.

--Stephen

------ End of Forwarded Article

===

For 2.2 kernels, the sgi raw I/O patch (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/rawio) will
support partitions of arbitrary size, using llseek with read or write. The sgi
asynchronous I/O patch for 2.2 also utilizes a 64-bit off_t when used to access
raw scsi disk partitions.

scott