Busmouse driver testing help

From: cbagwell@sprynet.com
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 17:46:35 EST

I have lately been working on the Microsoft Busmouse driver. Its probing code has been semi-broken since I've first starting using it around 4 years ago. It is only broken if you compile in support for all Busmouse drivers into your kernel (ie. how most distributions do it).

This never bothered me much because I always had custom compiled kernels. But with the recent growth in distributions using X window's as a GUI install method it is very important to have mice working out-of-the-box. Its almost impossible to install software to a point were you can recompile the kernel without a mouse.

I've fixed the microsoft probing but there are some bugs in the ati busmouse probing driver that need some debugging. Can someone with an ati busmouse card help me out testing/debugging?

I've also added support for IRQ probing (probe_irq_on()...) that I'd also like to port over to the logitech and ATI busmice drivers but could use some testers. Anyone?

As the mantainer of the busmouse-howto, I hear tons of complaints that they can't get IRQ's, etc set up correctly and the famous "it works automatically under windows, why not linux" line. ;-/ I'd like to finally cure this.

This would really keep a lot of linux newbies from trashing their CD's after the first few attempts at getting past the install programs (admittedly, the list of people with busmice is getting smaller every day though).

Chris