Re: linux-2.3.41/drivers/char/mxser.c does not compile

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 16:12:22 EST

> term, since I've in the past fixed bugs in serial.c that don't get fixed
> in other drivers that have borrowed huge amounts of code from serial.c
> --- in many cases, I have no idea they've borrowed code, so I couldn't
> notify them even if I had the time to track all of the places that have
> borrowed from serial.c

A simple make modules for them would have told you the problem ones.

> The other solution (for now) is to use the generic_serial.c by
> R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl, but I don't personally like that approach since
> it introduces yet another abstraction layer, when in fact most of this
> functionality should be going into the tty layer.

Does it belong in the tty layer when it appears relevant purely to physical
port hardware ? (Just curious)

Also btw, post 2.4 can we have a rule that anyone who submits a new different
Z8530 chipset driver gets told to write a generic one. Especially since we
even now have different includes with different names for the same register.
It puts the lance drivers in the shade 8)

Alan