Re: Kernel v2.2.15pre5 SCSI 2940U2W with AIC7895 boot still broke(withfix).

From: Doug Ledford (dledford@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 11:41:47 EST

M Sweger wrote:

> Hi Doug,
> I have linux 2.2.15pre5 that has aic7xxx.c v5.1.23. To apply your
> patch below v5.1.25 I must first apply v5.1.24.
>
> However, when I went to your site and got aic7xxx.5.1.24.patch
> and did "patch -p1 <aic7xxx.5.1.24.patch" in /usr/src/linux, it
> dumped alot of hunks for aic7xxx.c into the rej file. THen when the
> v5.1.25 patch is applied to the aic7xxx.c driver it patches ok.

This sounds like when you downloaded the 5.1.24 patch you used netscape and
you didn't shift-click on the link in order to force a regular download and
instead it displayed the patch in a browser window and you then had to save
the patch to disk. This will sometimes result in corrupted patches. If
that's not the case then I'm not sure what is. I'm able to take a clean
2.2.14 kernel here and apply the 5.1.22, 5.1.23, 5.1.24, and 5.1.25 patches to
it in that order without any rejects.

> QUESTION: which kernel version was aic7xxx.5.1.24 patched agains't?
> Otherwise, I'll just get bogus results I think in testing the
> patch below.
>
> In addition, it also causes patch reject (hunk) problems agains't
> linux 2.2.15pre6.

I should note that even though I have a 5.1.25 patch on my web site now, it's
not the official patch and can change at any time (it did just about 5 minutes
ago as a matter of fact). When I announce it and ship it to Linus/Alan then
it won't change any more, but right now I needed an easy place to distribute
it while doing some testing with people that have specific problems.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com> http://people.redhat.com/dledford Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before e-mailing me about problems