Re: latest 'guaranteed low latency' patch against 2.2.14

From: Balaji Srinivasan (balaji@cplane.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 16:26:21 EST

> I think most of us will be happy with 500-1ms max scheduling latency
> when running SCHED_FIFO tasks.
> Especially multimedia folks because this will enable linux to solve a wide range
> of real-time multimedia problems like audio and video.
> (RT audio being more critical than video since you can hear every little
> deadline miss and using more than 5-20ms buffers will kill the responsiveness
> completely.

If you are interested you could take a look at KURT
(http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/projects/kurt) which is specifically tailored
to handle multimedia kinds of firm real-time tasks. There is work that
needs to be done in this area, but i am willing to put time in if we can
get a reasonable interest in it. Right now you have to inform the kernel
as to your processing requirements before you start and then the kernel
either admits ur process or not. After that the kernel takes care of
scheduling your process at a periodic rate.

let me know if youre interested
thanks
balaji