Re: Source Code Release of NWFS 2.0 for 2.2/2.3/2.4

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 11:15:27 EST

Alan,

Contract? What the hell is this? I have been observing what goes on
here now for almost 18 months, and from my vantage point, it's clear
that RedHat just sits at the mouth of each womb ready to devour every
baby that is born like a pack of hungry, ravaging wolves. Everyone
tries their best ot put on a happy face while they knife each other in
the back and plot and scheme ways to rip each other off, and shaft each
other in the Linux Community.

This is why Linux will ***ALWAYS*** be inferior to Windows NT/2000. It
can only be as good as the people who write it, and when they're second
rate unix hackers, that's the ceiling on the quality level of the
effort. Anyone who suggest any direction that's not understandble by
you "gods" gets ignored, knifed, bad mouthed, or character assisinated,
and if what's proposed is not undergrad unix computer science, you guys
don't seem to understand it, or care (and you show a definite
unwillingness to even try).

One good example is the VFS in Linux. EVERY release, you guys break
something or there is MASSIVE file system corruption, or memory
corruption, or some other catastrophe that takes days to sort out.
Commercial OS vendors never tolerate this lack of
quality/compatibility. I'm sorry if you are offended, and i withdraw
the allegations (man did I get your dander up -- jeeeeez), but we are
spending money on developing on Linux, and the obvious lack of COURTESY,
PROFESSIONALISM, and QUALITY increases support effort (I have to rewrite
the VFS interface EVERYTIME you post a new kernel. You guys are
constantly BREAKING stuff and LEAVING IT BROKEN and inflicting your
laziness and bugs on the entire planet. If a Microsoft engineer (or
Novell engineer) operated at this level of quality, they would have
their work heavily scrutinized.

And get over it, would you.

Jeff