Re: Gigabit Linux Server Bottlenecks

From: Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 11:39:52 EST

David> From: Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> Date: 08 Feb 2000
David> 13:14:18 +0100

> Sorry but thats *BAD* performance by the SK card. I do
> around 2.5K ints/sec with the Alteon when doing 65MB/sec
> traffic in one direction with regular sized frames.

David> If he's getting such bad performance, why is his bandwidth
David> nearly 40MB/sec more than yours :-) So the interrupt mitigation
David> could be tuned a bit more in the SK driver, big deal.

Entirely due to the packet size, I do close to 120MB/sec on the Alteon
card with Jumbo Frames.

David> I personally am very impressed with the SK cards from my
David> testing here... whereas I'm not so impressed with the acenic
David> chipset.

I haven't seen the SK card, just looked quickly over their code which
didn't impress me.

Jes