Re: [patch] smp-2.3.43-B5, x86 SMP fixes

From: Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 09:47:48 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> accidentally attached B1, B5 is at:

I have one question:
http://www.redhat.com/~mingo/smp-2.3.43-B5:
+ send_IPI_mask(cpumask, INVALIDATE_TLB_VECTOR);
+
+ while (flush_cpumask)
+ /* nothing. lockup detection does not belong here */;
+

Why?
* we are running with enabled interrupts, NMI detection won't find the
lock-up.
* "stuck on TLB IPI wait" messages are quite common - perhaps as common
as bad hardware ;). I don't think that we can ignore them.
* it will be easy to add lockup detection: there are 4 function on i386
that wait for inter processor synchronization (wait_on_irq, wait_on_bh,
smp_call_function, and flush_tlb_others), and I'm preparing a helper
function that prints a meaningfull back trace (better than show()).

--
	Manfred