Re: 2.4 Features

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 07:33:35 EST

Hi Peter.

>>> We still get problem reports trickling in for e2compr. It doesn't
>>> appear to be quite 100% solid just yet.

>> Do you have any of the problem reports to hand? If so, let me have
>> them and I'll see if I can sort out what the problems are, and also
>> how to fix them.

> Using e2compr on files served by samba seems a good way of
> showing up a problem. I haven't much more detail than that I
> can give; the report said that only a certain directory had the
> problem, but I don't know what was special about the directory.
> I'll try to dig up a problem report or two about the problem
> when I get home.

Actually, I think I've found a problem: e2comp appears to lock up the
system when used with loop mounted file systems, although whether the
problem is with e2comp or the loop filesystem is currently unknown.
Try the following...

 Q> cd /tmp
 Q> dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=256 of=test.img
 Q> mke2fs test.img
 Q> mkdir test
 Q> mount -o loop,rw test.img test
 Q> cd test
 Q> chattr +c .

...and then create a file therein. At least with 2.2.14, the system
locks solid on me. I'll have a look at this tomorrow and see whether I
can work out what's going on here.

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.