Re: PS/2 mouse error....

From: Derrick Steed (derrick@m-steed.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 04:12:46 EST

Hi Richard,

I suggest you do a little reading on mice and their heritage. Aside having
designed the ultimate deepthought computer they use different protocols.
Specifically, A PS/2 MOUSE IS NOT A SERIAL MOUSE. So, you can't just take a
ps/2 mouse and plug it into a serial port and expect it to work nor the
other way around (a serial mouse is a serial mouse is a serial mouse).

That said, some mice support both protocols. The interrupt the mouse would
use in serial mode would be one of the serial IRQ's 3 or 4 not 12
(basically, leave the serial port as is, but tell that which is expecting
mouse input: where it's coming from, what protocol it is - the protocol is
very important unless you fancy watching the pointer antics and strange
behaviour when it's wrong).

see http://www.hut.fi/~then/mytexts/mouse.html for detail
also see http://www.xfree86.org/XFree86/3.3.2/mouse4.html for supported
protocols in XFree86