Re: [2.3.42] Doesn't compile on Alpha

From: Jakub Jelinek (jakub@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 03:05:45 EST

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 08:50:29PM -0500, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
> [root@multiameal /usr/src/linux-2.3/linux]# make
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.3/linux/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fn
> o-strict-aliasing -pipe -mno-fp-regs -ffixed-8 -mcpu=ev4 -c -o init/main.o ini
> t/main.c
> In file included from init/main.c:33:
> /usr/src/linux-2.3/linux/include/linux/pci.h:318: parse error before `dma_addr_t
> '
> /usr/src/linux-2.3/linux/include/linux/pci.h:318: warning: no semicolon at end o
> f struct or union
> /usr/src/linux-2.3/linux/include/linux/pci.h:346: parse error before `}'
> make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
>

> Rather odd since the same tree will build for i386 ok.
> I'm guessing the newer PCI code hasn't been synced for Alpha yet?
> I can provide .config if need be.

Try this.
It is Richard Henderson's WIP patch for dynamic DMA I've hacked for what
Linus finally accepted into 2.3.41 and hopefully with all the
NEW_PCI_DMA_MAP stuff protected by an ifdef of the same name, so if I
haven't forgotten anything (don't have an Alpha nor cross-compiler set up),
it should be working for you if you don't have more than 4G (or what was the
limit on Alpha) of physical memory.
Please tell me if the patch does not compile.
Once this Alpha code is finished and NEW_PCI_DMA_MAP enabled and working,
this will remove physical memory limits on Alpha (like it did on
UltraSPARC where we don't pose any physical RAM limits in 2.3.42 any more,
so if you want on sparc64 128GB of RAM, just prepare enough bucks for a big
machine) without ugly hacks like bigmem/Alpha.
All drivers you use on such system have to be converted to the new DMA
mapping API though (in vger CVS we have converted all drivers which are
available as config options for sparc64 and will be working on merging it to
Linus' tree through maintainers).

Cheers,
    Jakub