framebuffers and multi-head configuration

From: Pavel.Janik@linux.cz
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 03:20:29 EST

Hi,

is there any multi-head aware framebuffer driver? There is some info in
matroxfb.txt and I'm in contact with it's author Petr Vandrovec. Are there any
other possibilities of running 4 different X servers with/without
framebuffers? I'm curently trying XFree86 3.9.17 but it seems to not
initialize secondary cards, only primary got initialized. Mark Volkovich wrote
me about running setup with one AGP and 2 PCI cards but I can not get running
even two PCI Matrox G200-SD though I got one AGP Diamond Viper V770 with one
PCI Matrox running. PCI card must be set as primary in BIOS. If it is not, it
is not initialized at boot time. XFree testing was done without
framebuffer. I'll try matroxfb today or tomorrow.

Matroxfb seems to initialize every Matrox card it found. It has the option
init which initialize them. Is it possible to extract the initialization so I
can run the following and then try XFree? Peter? It is (probably) bug in
XFree, but I must solve it almost immediatelly.

for PCI in 2:8:0 2:9:0 2:10:0 2:11:0
  initialize_matrox_pci $PCI
done

It is weird that Metro-X is known to work (well, I do not have it and even can
not try it because in Czech you can got it in a week or so and this is very
long for me).

If you have any working setup similar to my (i.e. 4 PCI videocards, does not
matter if it is Matrox, does not matter if with or withou framebuffer), please
let me know.

Thank you.

--
Pavel Janík ml.