Various X crashes under 2.3.41

From: Joe Drew (hoserhead@woot.net)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 21:17:56 EST

I compiled and ran 2.3.41 for the first time, and have been experiencing
some trouble with various X programs, including X itself, segfaulting.
This wasn't a problem under 2.2.14 - in fact I haven't seen segfaults
in some time, so I don't think it's faulty RAM or something like that.
However I did compile my kernel with (gcc -v:) gcc version 2.95.2 20000116
(Debian GNU/Linux) - could this cause a problem? The only other thing I can
think of is the fact that I've got experimental support for my IDE chipset
compiled in (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82C586).
The crash of my X server is attached. Any ideas? (Please CC me as I'm
not on linux-kernel. Also I'm sending this to Xfree86@XFree86.org as the X
server requested; I obey my free software. ;) Unfortunately I wasn't able
to capture the full output of my X server the first time through, so
I captured X 2> x.log and am including that too. As far as I can tell,
there was no coredump.)