Asus K7M motherboard/Athon problems

From: James Hawtin (oolon@ankh.org)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 19:29:53 EST

I have resently been experiencing problems with my Asus K7M motherboard (AMI
30/11/99) with an Athon 500Mhz.

My major problems started when I "updated" from seti 1.3 to seti 2.0, oftain
when I used netscape my system would oftain crash. (Both aggressively use
disk writes)

I have had minor problems with disks, not being recogned by the mother board
from day 1 and my DXR2 card hangs the system after 0-6 seconds of use :-(

I thought may be I had a problem with my Maxtor 20gb hard disk so I swaped
it out, however this fixed nothing. Just fscking was faster as it was
smaller! I has seen from the list, that there are problems with althon/via
chipsets.

I noticed when my computer starts to started use swap space a crash was
likely to happen soon. To test this, I disabled swap, and filled the
computer with 8 setiathome clients, as they are quite aggresive clients.

And the computer keep working, with swap space enabled the machine would
have died after about 5.

I noticed that seti2 writes it state to disk every 3 seconds! Seems a bit
oftain!

[Oolon in the sunset] ls -ialF state.sah
  10054 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1533 Jan 31 00:01 state.sah
[Oolon in the sunset] ls -ialF state.sah
  10045 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1533 Jan 31 00:01 state.sah
[Oolon in the sunset] ls -ialF state.sah
  10045 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1533 Jan 31 00:01 state.sah
[Oolon in the sunset] ls -ialF state.sah
  10045 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1533 Jan 31 00:01 state.sah
[Oolon in the sunset] ls -ialF state.sah
  10054 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1532 Jan 31 00:01 state.sah
[Oolon in the sunset]

To load the machine more I did a du / and some VT switches and it still kept
working. Finally, I edited the inittab and then died.

I have tried different configuration for the IDE subsystem, both physcially
and using/not using DMA, and it still crashes, any advice? I some other
posts similar to this, however none of the suggestions have fixed my problems.

Just for readers amusement, its nice 30/11/99 bios is not Y2K complient, when
you enter setup the date changes to 1 march 1999.

James.

[Oolon in the sunset] more /proc/ide/via
Command register = 0x7
Master Read Cycle IRDY 0 Wait State
Master Write Cycle IRDY 0 Wait State
FIFO Output Data 1/2 Clock Advance: off
Bus Master IDE Status Register Read Retry: on
Latency timer = 32 (max. = 0)
Interrupt Steering Swap: off
------------------Primary IDE------------Secondary IDE-----
both channels togth: yes yes