hda: lost interrupt

From: Ted Knupke (tcknupke@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 15:14:53 EST

I am experiencing a problem with the 2.3.41 kernel. This problem has now
occured twice today. I have two IDE hard drives on my system and the problem
seems to happen when both are being used simultaneously. Here is how I get the
problem to happen:

1. I have stuff running in the background accessing /dev/hdb
2. I start wine (release 20000109) , which accesses the windows partition on
/dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5
3. All disk access stops and the system appears to be hung. If I get to a
shell prompt or a login prompt and I hit return, all I get back is "hda: lost
interrupt"
4. I hit the power button to reboot.
5. When the fsck runs during the reboot, it gets through /dev/hdb5 fine.
6. When fsck tries to simultaneously check /dev/hda7 and /dev/hdb7 it hangs.
The only way out is to hit the power button again.

To get the system back up, I have to boot with an older kernel (2.2.13). After
the first time this happened I updated fsck (from 1.14 to 1.18), but the problem
has now happened again, so this did not fix the problem.

Here is some info on my system after I got things up and running and rebooted
the new kernel:

[ted@LinuxHome scripts]$ ./ver_linux
-- Versions installed: (if some fields are empty or look
-- unusual then possibly you have very old versions)
Linux LinuxHome 2.3.41 #1 Sat Jan 29 17:07:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown
Kernel modules 2.3.10-pre1
Gnu C egcs-2.91.66
Binutils 2.9.1.0.24
Linux C Library 2.1.1
Dynamic linker ldd (GNU libc) 2.1.1
Procps 2.0.2
Mount 2.9o
Net-tools 1.52
Console-tools 1999.03.02
Sh-utils 1.16
Modules Loaded ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async ppp_generic slhc
nls_cp437[ted@LinuxHome scripts]$

[ted@LinuxHome scripts]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 5
model : 4
model name : Pentium MMX
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 233.866571
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : yes
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mmx
bogomips : 466.94