Intel i810 chipset and IDE..

From: Kedar Patankar (kedar@ishoni.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 02:37:04 EST

Hi,

        I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, sorry if
that's not the case. I would appreciate if anyone can point me to the
proper forum.
        OK, the thing is I have an Intel i810 chipset based motherboard,
with Pentium-II @400MHz running RH 6.1 stock.
        The mobo manual claims that it has ATA-66 IDE controller on-board.
Linux works fine with it (kernel 2.2.12 and 2.2.14). But when I do hdparm
-t /dev/hda, I get barely 4 MB/sec when use_dma, 32 bit IO and multicount
are off. When I do hdparm -c1 -d1 -m16 /dev/hda, I do see a noticable
speed increase, but after that if I do hdparm -t /dev/hda, I keep getting
more or less chaotic results, with the throughput varying anywhere between
5 MB/sec to 18 MB/sec.
        Any ideas as to why should this happen? Am I doing anything wrong?
Thanx a lot for your time. I hope someone will help me figure out what's
going on in my machine...

        Regards,
        Kedar.